Monday, August 27, 2012

Five Ways to Stretch Your Design Budget


Five Ways to Stretch Your Design Budget

While browsing the internet the other day I came upon a link entitled, “Five Ways to Stretch Your Interior Design Budget”. I was quick to re-tweet and share it with all of my followers; however, once I sat down and really read it I realized it my idea of small budget and there’s were two different things. William-Wayne and Mocox Gardens, for instance, aren’t cheap and definitely would not be worked in to one of my clients “small budget” rooms.
That being said, I wanted to put together a couple of ways that help me to work with smaller budgets. In fact, I even use these on the not so small budgets, which is reiterating the focus of this post; stretching your design budget. 

1.       Stencil instead of wallpaper: 

http://www.cuttingedgestencils.com/
I can explain to you how much money this can save you, and it’s really no more difficult that applying wallpapers. Don’t get me wrong. I love wallpapers and there are amazing ones out right now, but if you’re working on a budget, this is going to save you.

2.       Mix-and-Match different price points

Accessories and attention to details will finish the room, and nowadays there are so many great home good stores that it is easy to find great and affordable pieces. By mixing in some Tj Maxx finds with a cashmere throw, you will create that sense of luxury while sticking to the budget. The best part is, no one is going to know you got that lamp at Tj’s ;)

3.       Ready-made draperies

Custom made draperies are gorgeous and elegant, but they are a luxury. Store made draperies with added embellishments are a great way to mimic custom made. I like to add decorative borders and fringe work or beading to store bought draperies to achieve the same luxuriousness as the customs.

4.        Affordable Art

 I love turning things that have lost their pizazz into something new again. Try using that leftover piece of fabric/wallpaper in a frame, or spray paint some old flatware and frame it. 

5.       Add Color and Texture

You don’t have to spend a lot to add color and texture. Add a couple decorative pillows that showcase the color palette of the room and an area rug for texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment